Facebook has been in the news for a while for several reasons now. The company announced Facebook Avatars, a direct competitor of Bitmoji and Apple’s Animoji. The social media giant is pushing more towards visual communication and the use of graphics on its platforms. Just two days ago Facebook closed a deal worth $400 million acquiring GIF sharing platform Giphy.
Facebook’s Avatars allows you to customize a virtual lookalike of yourself to be used as stickers in comments and Messenger chats. Today launching within the U.S. Essentially Facebook’s version of Snap’s Bitmoji, Avatars were first introduced last year and are since made available in Australia, New Zealand, Europe, and Canada.
Facebook described Avatars as digital personas that let people engage in a more extensive, dynamic way, with a range of actions and expressions.
Facebook application head Fidji Simo said in a post, “So many of our interactions these days are taking place online, which is why it’s more important than ever to be able to express yourself personally on Facebook. Avatars enable you to share a range of emotions and expressions via a digital persona that’s uniquely representative of you, so we’re excited to bring this new form of self-expression to more people around the world.”
How to Create Facebook Avatars?
- Tap the three horizontal lines on the bottom right corner of your screen if you’re using the Facebook mobile app.
2. Scroll down the Menu page until you see “See More” and then click the down arrow. This is where you’ll see the “Avatars” option. You will see a bunch of options to choose from. From there Tap “Avatars.”
3. You’ll see a page titled “Get Stickers of You: Share your personalized stickers with friends.” Click Get Started.
4. Select a skin tone to get started. Select a skin tone from the list and click Next.
5. Then you can pick your hair style. You’ll need to choose a style before you can click the raindrop icon and choose your hair color.
6. Click the other icons to see all your additional options, like face shape, complexion , lines, eye shape and color, eyebrows, glasses. You can scroll through the menu and pick and choose, or just go through them in order, one at a time.
7. After you’ve chosen all your options, click the checkmark in the upper right corner. Your avatar will “process” for a couple of seconds and then you’ll get a message saying “This Is Your Avatar”. You can click next.
Congratulations your Facebook Avatar is now ready to be used in messages, comments, and stickers. You can also share it on your feed or even set it as a temporary profile picture.